The Russian cemetery where refugees from Russia have been buried after the Bolsheviks prevailed in the Civil War of 1918-1920. They were White Russians, opponents of the Bolsheviks in the Civil War of 1917-1920. They were forced to leave Russia with Istanbul as their first stop. About 12,700 people, mostly Cossacks, men, women, and children, arrived in Lemnos from January to December 1920. They lived in tents in the former British and Australian camps. The latter left in November 1921 heading for Bulgaria and Serbia. A few dozen dead have been buried in the cemetery of East Mudros and the rest of them in the cemetery on the Portianou peninsula. This had been abandoned for many years and was rediscovered in 2004 by a Russian expedition.