The first planes arrived in Lemnos in March 1915 with the HMS Ark Royal, a special aircraft carrier. The first planes were Sopwith Schneider and Short naval cooperation seaplanes. They were later replaced by other pursuit and reconnaissance aircraft operating jointly with the British, French, and Serbian squadrons stationed at Stavros and Thassos. The planes were parked near the current airport. The airport was built by the Germans during World War II.