The head of the bay with the shallow waters. The soldiers used to cross through this point on their way from the Sarpi rest camp to the hospitals in Punta. It is the location shown in the photographs by AW Savage and Florence McMillan.
In the Portianou village next to the school, there is the monument of Colonel Sonders, who was a military attaché of the United Kingdom, who participated in 2000 in the ANZAC celebration in Lemnos. Two months later, he was assassinated in Athens by members of the terrorist organization, 17N. This simple monument has been erected in his memory.
The ANZAC rest area of Sarpi was located next to the current refugee village of Nea Koutali and it housed the ANZAC troops on their return from Gallipoli. The rest area was established in the summer of 1915 as a resting place for ANZAC units that were withdrawing from the Gallipoli front and it was used until January 1916. The current village of Nea Koutali was built in 1926 for housing the refugees from the Koutali island in the Propontis who came to Greece with the population exchange of 1923.
The site of the 3rd Canadian Stationary Hospital where Canadian doctors and nurses worked and who are commemorated on a plaque at the Portianou Commonwealth Military Cemetery.
The first planes arrived in Lemnos in March 1915 with the HMS Ark Royal, a special aircraft carrier. The first planes were Sopwith Schneider and Short naval cooperation seaplanes. They were later replaced by other pursuit and reconnaissance aircraft operating jointly with the British, French, and Serbian squadrons stationed at Stavros and Thassos. The planes were parked near the current airport. The airport was built by the Germans during World War II.